Amazon

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

What I would rather be doing with my life.

I spend a lot of time talking to people about the stuff that I want to avoid in life and what I don't want to do. I don't want to spend the next 40 years of my life commuting to an office, working 12 hours a day, and driving home. In order to minimize this part of my life, I intend to save up as much of my earnings as possible and then pursue a life of minimalism. This would provide me the maximum amount of time available.

Most people ask me the following questions?

Well don't you want a wife and kids?
No.

Don't you want a McMansion?
No.

Don't you want to travel the world and see France, Italy, China, and Dubai?
No.

Don't you want to buy a BMW?

No.

Well what do you want out of life?
Skateboarding.

As crazy as it sounds, there aren't really that many things I want out of life. I just want to have my time to be free and I want to spend that time skateboarding. I have no higher purpose and I see no reason to pursue much else than skateboarding.

You could actually call it my first love. It was the first thing I ever found in life that gave me a sense of fulfillment. It was the first thing that ever made me feel proud of myself. It was the first thing that I ever felt like dedicating my life to (as crazy as it might sound). I love it so much that I would want to pursue a life of minimalism in order to skate as much as I possibly could.

When I was a still in middle school, I'd get home, do some homework, then head out the door and try to figure out how to kickflip. 

Summer vacations were just the best. I'd wake up, play some Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, then skate with my friends for hours. Back then, I'd always watch a couple skate videos before heading out. I watched Flip's Really Sorry every single day and I've linked Arto Saari's part here.

The greatest joys I've had was when I've learned new tricks. I've also had the greatest terrors when I've just barely escaped disaster.

I kept skating throughout high school but I started to cut down a bit in college. As much as I loved skateboarding, it would be too risky to try to become professional. It was a much safer to become an accountant. After all, there is a higher number of accountants demanded in the labor force than professional skateboarders. 

After college was done, I started working full time and had to cut the skating back even further. When I was young, I skated a few hours every single day. Nowadays, I'm lucky if I can get to the skatepark for 2 hours a week.

But when I'm free again, when I finally buy my freedom, I'll spend as much time as possible skateboarding because this is what I want the most out of life. I guess I was lucky to find a ridiculous hobby that I wanted to spend my life pursuing. 


1 comment:

  1. I'd look into those travel opportunities. Nothing like skating/living in another part of the world...

    ReplyDelete