Amazon

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

When will we know there is a true recovery?

I was talking to my boss at work the other day. I like to ask him about his opinions about the economy. In particular, I was asking him what he thought about Keynesian versus Austrian economics.

I'm a firm believer in Austrian economics but I do have questions about why people think Keynesian economics is the correct school of thought. After listening to general opinions in the manosphere, I gathered that Keynesian economics only really worked in the period of time right after the great depression.

My boss told me it was working now.

To which, I was very surprised. How is it working? The first thing I started thinking about was QE 3. QE 3 was great for boosting stock prices but it was horrible for indirectly causing increasing food prices.

I'll admit, I am no expert on economics. I find it interesting but there is a lot of stuff I just don't know. I don't watch the mainstream media. At least not directly. I hear some commentary about the mainstream media.

I guess the media always tries to say that the economy is great and we are booming. I don't buy it for a minute though.

Thanks to Cappy, Stefan Molyneux, and Peter Schiff; I have a few good reasons for believing that we are still declining as a country.

1. The only way to increase standards of living for America as a whole is to get as many people producing things. Unfortunately, the labor force participation rate peaked around 1999 or 2000 at 67% and has been steadily declining ever since. Today, the labor force participation rate is less than 63%.

2. America spends more than it makes. Just recently our national debt passed $18 trillion. Just about every year, our country runs a deficit. I've checked our national debt clock and I see our yearly deficit decreasing steadily. This is a good thing, if it was legit. Last year, I checked the national debit clock and saw that annual deficit was more than 1 trillion. After a few days, the deficit ran down to about 500 or 600 billion. How did that happen? They just stopped counting some things in the calculation.

3. Unfunded liabilities of over $120 trillion and still climbing.

4. Increasing prices. I'm pretty sure anyone who shops for groceries can see increasing food prices. Some would say that the increased prices are offset by gas falling. However, I just think about how health insurance got way more expensive in the last year.


The only way I could see a true recovery is if I see a few economic indicators turn around.

If our labor force participation rate increases, national debt starts decreasing, and prices stop increasing; I will then believe that we would be in a real recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment