Amazon

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Five dollar footlong subs are gone

The other day, while looking at the menu for Subway, I was looking for which subs were one the $5 menu. The specialty subs cost $7, the normal subs cost $6, and the cheapest subs cost $5.50. Unfortunately, I noticed that there are no more subs priced at $5. The last time I checked, there was a $5 menu that included just the 8 basic subs. It had the spicy italian, veggy delight, black forest ham, and the turkey sub. Nope, those all increased in price by 10%.

The five dollar footlong was something that Subway advertised for the longest time. I remember the ridiculous commercials with construction workers singing the $5 footlong at Subway song.

If I recall correctly, $5 subs was a promotion at Subway that lasted the longest time. I remember it started sometime around 2006 when I first entered college. At that time, just about every sub was $5. Only the really deluxe subs cost extra. I think the promotion was only supposed to last 6 months but it was so successful that it kind of just lasted for 4 years. In 2010, most of the subs still cost $5.

A few years later, more subs started migrating off of the menu but until probably last year, there was still the option to get a footlong sub for $5. That option is gone now and it is a bummer because that was almost a fixed cost for years. When you went to Subway, you knew how much you could get a sub for. I'd have to guess that the cheapest footlong sub at Quiznos would be $8.


2 comments:

  1. Yup. Subway was a staple of my college diet too. The last tie that I went there, I felt cheated that the prices increased. I would think that they would at least have a monthly special like they did before.

    Oh well; I'll just eat at home. It's healthier and more cost-effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if you're a taco bell fan, but prices went up there too.

    ReplyDelete