Amazon

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Declining public transportation

The other day, I boarded the train at the metro station to get down town. While waiting for the train, I noticed a very unusual poster next to the transit map.

The poster gave detail instructions on how to evacuate a train inside the tunnel or outside the tunnel. Should an even happen, passengers were told to board the platform and walk towards the closest rail station. They were instructed not to touch the third rail or else they would be electrocuted and die.

It is good that passengers know what to do incase of a train failure however my mind went in another direction when I saw this poster. I had used the transit system on and off for the past twenty years and had never seen such directions posted in the train station.

Why would the metro station be putting these posters up if they were not expecting to have more malfunctions, breakdowns, and problems in the future? With the decline of several sectors in the current economy, surely the infrastructure of public transit would be affected as well. Even six years back, I recall the transit system undergoing cuts due to less revenue coming in.

In the past 20 years of using the transit system, I've never had a train break down to the point where passengers had to evacuate anywhere. I'll check in the next few weeks to see reports of broken trains.

No comments:

Post a Comment