Amazon

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Dreams of unparalleled freedom

The American dream has no clear definition and it will mean something different to everyone. Growing up, I had the perception the American dream was to buy a house with a white fence, have a nice wife, have 2.5 kids, then spend the rest of your time doing whatever you like.

However, it seems like that dream has been getting harder and harder to achieve every since the tragedies of the last few decades. And every day that passes, that particular dream seems even harder to get.

At some point, it might become necessary to reevaluate your hopes and dreams and decide what you really want. Make sure to do this fast because time is always working against you. Decide what you want most out of life and start working towards it.

In my case, if I could only choose one piece of the American dream listed above, I would choose my time. More than money, fame, women, or power, the thing that I want the most is my freedom.

The biggest dream/goal of mine is to get that point in my life where I never have to worry about paying any bills or where my next meal is coming from or having to get up at six in the morning to go to work. It is my dream to wake up in the morning and know that I have 16 hours in the day to do whatever I want until I go to sleep. This is what I want most out of life. It would be like a summer vacation that never ends.

I want this freedom so much that I will willingly sacrifice every other part of the American dream in order to obtain it and enjoy it for the maximum amount of children. Home ownership and raising a family would only deter me or slow me down significantly towards getting my freedom.

16 hours a day. That would allow me to do all thing things I enjoy doing the most as well as try all the other things I've been curious or interested in but just didn't have the time for. I'd want to learn how to play a guitar, try learning how to speak better Spanish, garden, even tinker around with remote controlled electronics. Sure, I could try to do these things any day, but my time is limited and I don't have enough motivation to get a guitar and learn how to play it. However, if I could open up more free time (at least 10 hours a day), I would pick up a guitar and try to start playing it after 2 weeks.

With no higher goal to live for other than myself, I want to do all these things to amuse myself. These are my dreams of unparalleled freedom.


1 comment:

  1. Why not write a bit about how you would use your time if you had it? In my experince only a very few people have the mental capacity to be free- to do something with time.

    As you rightly say, our time is our life.

    ReplyDelete