Amazon

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Chicken Versus Beef

I typically eat at Wendy's two our three times a week mainly because it is the closest restaurant to my office. Because I'm a minimalist, I try not to spend more than four dollars with each visit. This usually gets me two or three sandwiches from the dollar menu. Recently, I've been getting a better value by ordering a large chili and a chicken sandwich.

While eating at Wendy's so frequently, I've noticed that the crispy chicken sandwich is a slightly better value than the junior cheeseburger. Both sandwiches cost only one dollar, but I've noticed that the cut of chicken is much larger than the cut of beef in the burger. It looks like the patty itself is twice as large as the beef patty. To make sure it wasn't just my imagination, I looked up the calorie information for both sandwiches. The junior cheeseburger has 290 calories and the crispy chicken sandwich has 350 calories. It isn't just my imagination.

Since both sandwiches cost the same, I was led to believe that chicken is much cheaper than beef. A quick google search shows one pound of chicken costing $1.50 as of July 2014. A quick google search shows one pound of beef costing $4.10 as of October 2014.

As far as I know, there is no real advantage to eating beef versus chicken. In economics, this is the concept of substitute goods.

If you want to save some cash, you can adjust your spending/eating habits to eat mor chikin. Chicken will most likely be cheaper than beef at the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment