Amazon

Saturday, December 5, 2015

60 years worth of consumables

After celebrating another birthday, I always like to keep track of where I am and where I'm going. I'd estimate that I'd have another 60 years left to live and I wondered how much 60 years of consumables would look like.

I like to look at these figures to get a general idea of how much money I still need to earn.

60 years is roughly 21915 days.

I'd estimate a man would need 3 cans of food a day. 60 years of food would be 65745 cans of food.
One roll of toilet paper lasts about a week. 60 years of toilet paper would be 3120 rolls.
A tube of tooth paste should last about a month. I'd need 720 tubes left.
A large container of shower gel lasts about 4 months. I'd need another 180 containers.
One bottle of shampoo lasts me 6 months. I'd need another 120 bottles.
I'd spend a little extra on clothing and buy 3 sets of clothing a year. That totals of 180 sets of clothes.

It isn't a total list of consumables but its a start. It doesn't include major items like lodging and health care but if a man can afford all of this, he is in a pretty good position in life.

4 comments:

  1. This is the Alpha Strategy (free book download from The London Money) and is an inflation hedge. The problem with it is that we have mild deflation in the UK right now.

    It makes more sense if you expecting economic collapse but I do not see sitting on a pile of food and eating my way through it as a very fulfilling way to live the next 60 years. Man was born to engage with the world and to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other big challenge is that it is really impractical to buy all this stuff at once and store it. I'll check out the book.

      Delete
  2. Of course, many in the USA are expecting drastic dollar devaluation and this would cause inflation one way or another so it is possible this hoarding strategy makes more sense over your side of the pond than it does over here right now.

    Britain has a currency that tends to rise against our main trading partners (USA and Europe) not because Sterling is wonderful but because the alternatives are worse.

    The result is the spectre of unemployment rather than inflation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, many in the USA are expecting drastic dollar devaluation and this would cause inflation one way or another so it is possible this hoarding strategy makes more sense over your side of the pond than it does over here right now.

    Britain has a currency that tends to rise against our main trading partners (USA and Europe) not because Sterling is wonderful but because the alternatives are worse.

    The result is the spectre of unemployment rather than inflation.

    ReplyDelete