Amazon

Monday, December 19, 2016

The seven month contract (part 1)

I sent an application out to an IT staffing agency. The agency had a contract with a large bank and a large audit firm to perform an audit on the bank. The job paid $17 an hour and I was excited about the prospect. So, I answered a few questions the recruiter asked me over the phone and he asked me to drive over to the corporate office to fill out some paperwork.

The following week, I dressed up in a suit expecting to be interviewed in person. I also brought along all the documents they requested from me if I got hired. After filling out paperwork and getting scanned copies of my documents, they told me that the job would be starting in the middle of March 2015. There was no real interview, I was going to be working again. I would be working at a higher wage as well.

After getting the news of employment, I dropped my plans of continuing in the insurance field and I stopped going to the meetings at the financial firm. My second job was only going to be a temporary position. They told me ahead of time that the contract was only going to last five months. By August, I’d be looking for work again.

The audit was a compliance audit. During the years of 2009 to 2011, the bank issued several mortgages to people that lived in areas at risk of floods. The auditing company had to make sure that for everyone of the mortgages issued, the mortgage holder needed to have adequate flood insurance. The nature of the audit required a person to look at the structure value of the property and check to see if the property was insured to the correct amount. It was simple work but the challenge was the sheer amount of mortgages that had to be checked. Since the auditing company didn’t want to hire employees just to do grunt work, they contracted the grunt work out to a third party. That’s where I came in.

No comments:

Post a Comment