Amazon

Friday, February 10, 2017

16 Painful Interviews (part 10)

Without much luck of getting hired, I started considering just picking up a minimum wage job for any sort of work. It wasn’t the worst thing in the world. I had saved up almost $38000 so I was far from starving. I still lived with my parents and had no outstanding debt. I liked the idea of working no more than 20 hours per week and having a commute that I could walk to. If I really wanted to, I could subsist off of a minimum wage for several years and just consider myself partially retired at the age of 24. If I could walk to my job site, I could abandon my car and my yearly expenses would be less than $2000. Sure, it may feel like giving up on life, but really what was worth fighting for anyway? I decided I never wanted to get married of have kids. If that was the case, what was the point of even leaving my parents house? Why not just live with them forever? All I really wanted to do with my life is just skateboard, lift weights, run, and play some video games. With this mindset, I started sending applications to grocery stores and fast food restaurants. During April, I got called in for an interview at a local grocery store.

Since I had applied for the job just by filling out an online application, I didn’t know what the job would be but I safely assumed it would pay only about $7 an hour. I was okay with just stocking shelves or working the cash register. Since it was just a grocery store, I didn’t bother with wearing a suit but I wore a dress shirt with a tie. As soon as I walked into the office, the hiring manager looked over my application and was just wondering what I was doing there. I had a college degree and two years of work experience and I was just applying for a job that consisted of mopping up the floors after the deli. I would have been completely happy with just mopping up the floors after the deli but she kept on trying to talk me out of the position. She kept on repeating the fact that I wouldn’t be making the kind of money I used to make. In turn, I kept telling her that I understood and didn’t need to make a lot of money. Eventually, she recommended that I apply for a management position at the grocery store. It paid closer to my previous salary and the hours were about 50 hours a week. I suspected that she was just trying to get me out of there. Nevertheless, I took the bait and agreed for her to forward my application to a management position. However, I specifically requested that if that management position was not available, I would like to mop up the floors after the deli. That hiring manager never called me back. After 16 job interviews and no prospects of being hired, I came to the conclusion that people just didn’t want me to work. Maybe I just live like a bum with my parents and enjoy the $38000 that I saved up over the previous three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment