Amazon

Monday, April 7, 2014

Never buy a TV bigger than you are.

Each week, I go to Walmart. When I'm there, I usually head over to the electronics section and I always see the flatscreen TVs on display.

The biggest one there is a 70 inch flatscreen TV.
I'm 5 foot 8 so I just realized earlier today that this TV is bigger than I am.

It costs $1,500. (as of 4-6-14)

While I could buy several of these TVs, I just couldn't imagine spending $1,500 on a TV. I can't even justify spending $200 on a TV.

And I realize that consumer spending is what keeps a lot of Americans broke.

Consumer spending - buying stuff you don't need (most likely on credit).

$1,500 is how much money I spent on gas for the entire year of 2013.
$1,500 is the kelly's blue book value of my car.
$1,500 is 4,500 cups of top ramen.
$1,500 is 1,500 cups of McDonald's coffee


I just can't justify spending a lot of money on material things because most of the joy comes acquiring the stuff rather than using it.

A big TV would seem pretty cool at first, but after a few weeks or a month, it just becomes normal. The novelty wears off.

When the novelty wears off, you are still out $1,500. While you can still sell your tv, it is a used product and you would be lucky to recover 50 to 70 percent of the cost.

Thankfully, I imagine that most consumers don't buy a 70 inch tv.

A 30 to 40 inch flatscreen would probably go for $500 or $600. I don't really pay attention to them.
Still, that $500 or $600 could be better spent otherwise.

Though, if you really need to have a tv, I would recommend spending no more than $200 if absolutely needed.






No comments:

Post a Comment