Amazon

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Minimalism Curbs Envy

There is a concept that I was thinking about the other day that I don't really know if there is a word for. This occurs when the price of something makes it very unappealing. I guess the best term I can think of is just seeing a really bad deal or a complete waste of money.

You might be really into guitars and can get a good one for a few hundred dollars. It is functional, it plays well, and it will last a long time. However, it is possible to spend a few thousand dollars on a really high end brand. For a real enthusiast, maybe a few thousand dollars for a 1954 Gibson Les Paul Custom Limited Edition. It is a really nice guitar, but spending more money than you have to won't make you a better guitar player.

The example that I keep coming back to is expensive luxury cars. I have no envy to the people that drive those cars. Even though I could have one myself, I just think about all the time and effort that I had to spend to earn that money for a Mercedes Benz. Sure, the car might be fun to drive but the price tag just makes it look like a Nissan Cube to me.

That is the great thing about minimalism. Some of the funnest hobbies are really cheap. A few hundred dollars can get you a bench press set and an Olympic bar with plates. That equipment lasts decades. Even though something like lifting weights seems really boring and repetitive, that action becomes exciting when you figure out how good you can get at it. Just how much weight can you lift? You would be surprised. And progress brings its own reward. Making progress makes you hungry for more. Really get out there and test yourself and see what you are capable of.

The action is so engaging, I've never felt the need to listen to music while lifting. Unfortunately, I think I'm one of the few people can do that.

I'm convinced that if a man isn't distracted by too many material things, he has the urge to go out and try new things and become competent in new skills or hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment