Amazon

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

16 Painful Interviews (part 2)

Most likely, I screwed up getting both of these jobs because I was too eager to follow up with them. I had the impression that I was one of the first candidates to be interviewed for both positions because I was constantly spamming my resume to any new position I saw on the jobs databases. I called up both companies every few days to see if they made a decision. The first company told me they hired someone else and I might have offended one of the girls that interviewed me at the second company. She told me they took the hiring process very seriously and rejected me before even inviting me to the lunch.

Sometime during February, I got called into to a company for another interview. The company was one that specialized in reloadable prepaid debit cards. The position was for an accounts payable staff member and I think the salary was more than $30000 but less than $40000. Of course I was interested in the position, I wanted to get into anything that was in the accounting field. The interview was far less exhausting as I remember only talking to two people. The interview went on without anything memorable really sticking out.

Again, in February, I was called in for an interview for a staff accountant position. This time, it was for a major gas station. Over the phone, the guy told me that before having the interview, I’d take a quick accounting assessment and then he would show me around the corporate headquarters. Feeling incredibly apprehensive about taking an assessment, I had to ask him what were the topics that the assessment would cover. He told me that it would just be basic level topics. When he said basic level topics, I assumed that it would be only the topics that we would have covered in the level one accounting classes. When I got there and started taking the assessment, the questions started off pretty basic. Unfortunately, after 10 questions, they asked how to handle lease accounting and other topics that were covered in our advanced accounting courses. That bastard lied to me. As I went through the test, I became increasingly more and more pissed off as the test went on. Eventually, I said to hell with it, dropped the assessment on the desk, and just walked out. The lady at the front desk seemed a little confused and asked me if I had met with Carlos. That was the first and only time I ever rage quit an exam.

To close out the month of February, I got called in for a property tax position. The salary was not stated but I assumed that it would be roughly $45000. The company was a very small operation. It only had two employees. The boss of the organization said that they covered a very niche market. They assessed property taxes over anything from skyscrapers to nuclear reactors and that the job required a fair amount of travel. Out of all the job interviewers I ever had, this jackass stood out the most. When I went to all of my interviews, I always did my best to portray a certain amount of professionalism and I’d expect the same amount back. As soon as I talked to the guy, he looked over my resume and the first question he asked me was if I read any interesting novels lately. After 10 minutes, we covered topics such as his daughter, college, and the Vietnam War. After talking about the war, I was getting the feeling that the interview wasn’t going very well so I tried to steer him back on track by actually talking about the job position. Unfortunately, when I brought up the topic of work, this just seemed to bum him out. After 10 more minutes of his nonsense I just decided to try to cut through it all and ask if I could have the job. He just said he didn’t know and I decided to end it there. I said I’d follow up with him and just kind of left. Needless to say, I was contacted by these three organizations just to tell me my services were not needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment