Amazon

Sunday, January 1, 2017

The seven month contract (part 7)

The next time that I saw her was about a week or two later in June. There was a burger joint that she had mentioned before and I met her there. This was the very next time I saw her so I really didn’t know how to bring up the night we kissed. Even worse was that I was running out of things to talk about with her. Several times throughout our meal, the conversation went dead silent. Usually, when that would happen, I would just smile and look directly into her eyes. I was okay at handling awkward moments however she absolutely couldn’t maintain eye contact with me. Every time I did this to her, she would start looking away, covering her face, or try to break the silence. She even told me that she had to look at my cheek or chin when talking to me. Anywhere except the eyes. Needless to say, I would like to look directly into her eyes a lot just to pester her. After finishing our burgers, we were about to part ways for the night. I remember being there with her for only 45 minutes or maybe one hour. I seemed too quick, I didn’t want it to be over. I just kept wanting to be with her.

Right next to my car, I looked at her and I told her that she looked like she wanted something from me. She looked at me sort of bewildered and told me she didn’t understand what I was talking about. I decided to press it a little bit further. So teasingly, I told her that if she wanted something, she should ask for it. I told her that if she didn’t ask for it, she might not get it. Apparently, she had enough of my nonsense because at that moment she just turned around and started walking away. She said nothing. It looked like I messed that up badly. The previous night when we kissed meant nothing. I had taken things as far as it could go. At least it was fun. I did get more than I ever asked for or expected. All I ever expected to do with that woman was to have Mexican food with her once and never see her again. Coincidentally, the restaurant where I first met her at was right across the street from this burger joint.

I got in my car and started driving away. I was somewhat disappointed but it was as good a place to end things. After a few traffic lights, my phone started to ring. I never like to use the phone while driving so I just ignored it. But after a minute, I started to worry if maybe it had been Julia that called. As soon as I had the chance, I found a parking lot to pull over in and looked at my phone. Surely enough, it was Julia so I had to call her back. She picked up the phone and she had some emotions that she had to get off her chest. It is hard to remember what she said but I think she was feeling bad that she didn’t talk about our previous night together. She really had to get those feelings off of her chest. Whatever she did say, I couldn’t pay much attention to. My heart was racing and my hands were shaking a little bit. After she was done talking, I asked her if there was anything else she wanted to tell me. This confused her and she said she told me everything that she wanted to tell me. And I didn’t want to sound silly or ridiculous so I did the only thing I could think of. I needed to buy some more time. I told her that I would call her at the end of the week and wished her a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment